Grunkle Farm is a true hidden gem. From its discreet entrance, on through its lushly landscaped entry drive, there is a gradual reveal of the scenic grandeur of the farm interior. The dramatic mountain views of the Blue Ridge from the main house are matched by the verdant woodland interiors of rocky gorges and rolling hills, and the hidden beauty of the Rappahannock River as it courses over a mile on the property’s northern boundary.
Offered on the market for the first time in 50 years, Grunkle Farm is a true sportsman’s paradise. Miles of trails connect its woodland wonders and offer an abundance of hunting and fishing opportunities as well as dramatic scenery for hiking and riding. Wildlife is encouraged on Grunkle Farm and there are thriving populations of white tailed deer, turkey, grouse, doves, and the occasional woodcock. The river offers excellent trout fishing and canoeing or kayak possibilities.
Grunkle Farm has three dwellings and a number of dependencies that allow for the comfort of owners and visitors alike.
Main House: The rustic elegance of this two bedroom, two bath home home is apparent upon entry. The use of quality materials and solid construction make the home inviting, warm, and sophisticated while still maintaining a country charm. Custom built post and beam construction from a 19th century manor house are combined with elements of three log cabins, and the resulting home has both historic ambiance and modern comforts. The site on a bluff overlooking a wide panorama of the Blue Ridge Mountains incorporates scenic outdoor porches and decking as well.
- Entry Hall (9 x 8) – welcoming entry with slate flagstone floors and cherry cabinetry.
- Kitchen (11 x 14) – gourmet kitchen with Viking appliances, granite counters, cherry cabinetry and lots of workspace.
- Library (11 x 11) – A cozy timber-framed space off the kitchen and open to the living room with plenty of seating
- Living Room (13 x 25) – massive two story fireplace, doors to screened porch, exposed beams, and exquisite woodwork.
- Loft (12 x 12) – Open to living room below, this room can function as a bedroom or office space.
- Dining Room (15 x 16) – Log walls with massive stone fireplace from the original cabin on the property and old beamed ceiling. Staircase to upper bedroom, and access to back porch and hall bath
- Guest Bedroom (19 x 14) – Upper level bedroom accessed from dining room stairs.
- Hall Bath – Full bath with granite counters and ceramic tiled shower.
- Master Suite
- Sitting room (10 x 10) – cozy room off the main bedroom for reading or relaxing
- Bedroom (23 x 20) – large room with woodstove and seating areas and walk-in closet
- Bath – large full bath.
Main Residence PHotos
Guest House: A charming and compact house with board and batten siding and metal roof near the farm entrance. This house is visible in the distance from the main house, but maintains a private setting with beautiful mountain views.
- Kitchen (9 x 14) – Fully fitted kitchen with electric range, pine flooring and skylight
- Living Room (16 x 16) – Pine floors, wood stove, and exposed beams. Access to covered back deck
- Bath – Full bath with skylight on main level
- Bedroom (11 x 11) – Main floor bedroom with pine floors and closet
- Bedroom (18 x 18) – Large bedroom above the living room.
- Family Room (16 x 16) Large room on lower level that could be used as bedroom or gathering space. Opens to terrace.
- Bath – Full bath on lower level.
- Office (10 x 12) – Basement room suitable as office, hobby room or storage
Bunk House: A retrofitted barn, this house is a rustic huntsman’s lodging that features a working kitchen, a bunk room, a large living room with a woodstove, and plenty of space to stow hunting and fishing gear, and a covered shed attachment for dressing the days hunt and storing vehicles. A working outhouse only adds to the rough and ready charm of this retreat nestled in the woods.
Guest house Photos
Grunkle Farm is 110 acres of rolling hills, forest, streams and long river frontage. There are miles of interior farm trails and roads that access prime hunting and fishing spots and are designed with walking and riding interest as well. There are approximately 25 acres that are open as hayfields or pasture clearings in the woodlands.
Approximately 80 acres have been left wooded. Woodlands are mostly mature hardwoods (Oak, tulip poplars, and other natives) and relatively few pines. There is substantial timber potential if expansion of open land is desired. Walking and bridle trails meander through the woodlands and follow streams and other natural landmarks. Grunkle Farm is in conservation easement which allows for only one property division.
There are several streams and springs that could be developed for a potential pond, or even lake, including one ideal area between the main house and guest house that features wonderful mountain views. An additional 118 acres of adjoining woodland with trails and river frontage is also available.
Open spaces, streams, fields, forest and trails are beautifully maintained to enhance pastoral views and the rustic ambiance. There are over six miles of maintained trails throughout the property suitable for walking or riding.
Driveways and parking court: gravel (yellow- river run) and then pea gravel on top of tar and chip.
Garage: Two car garage bays with separate storage and workshop areas on each end, and kenneling for dogs as well. An adjacent propane generator provides power for the house and garage in case of a power outage.
Tractor Shed: Run-in shed for machine storage or potential livestock use.
Workshop: (24 x 24) Large insulated and heated building set at slight remove from main house, with running water and plenty of electric outlets for hobbyist/woodworking use. Lots of attic level storage.
Wells and Watering Systems: Three wells service the farm – one for the main house, one for the guest house and one for the bunk house.
Telecom: Internet service is available through mobile broadband or satellite dish. Television is also via satellite. Cell phone coverage on the farm is available on the Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon networks.
Location: Grunkle Farm is located on North Poes Road in Rappahannock County, mid-way between Rt. 647 (Cresthill Road) and Rt. 522 (Zachary Taylor Hwy). Grunkle Farm is a prime hunt fixture for the local foxhunting pack (Old Dominion Hounds). Grunkle Farm is 13 miles from Rt. 66 (Marshall exit 27) or 17 miles (Ft. Royal exit). Approximately 65 miles from Washington, DC. Travel time to downtown DC is 1 Hour 15 minutes (in low traffic situations). Approximately 45-60 minutes to Dulles International Airport. 1 hour 15 minutes to Charlottesville. 20 minutes to Warrenton, 10 minutes to Front Royal.
Amenities: The nearby village of Flint Hill boasts three restaurants, Skyward Cafe, The Public House, and The Griffin Tavern. “Little” Washington, the county seat is the home of The Inn at Little Washington and shops and theater. Rappahannock County is a close-knit rural community with excellent theater, concerts, art galleries, wineries, and the Shenandoah National Park. Equestrian pursuits (fox-hunting, trail riding, dressage) are very popular.