Everyone wants to have it all when it comes to a Rappahannock country property; expansive mountain views, river frontage, fields and forest, privacy, and, of course, a magnificent house designed to drink in all the scenery. Rarely does a property with all those features reach the open market. Yet for those discriminating buyers who demand nothing less than the ‘complete package,’ the Tasker residence is the clear choice. The vast panorama of the Blue Ridge mountains is visible from nearly every room in the house and everywhere else on the property. The bold currents and rocky outcroppings of the Thornton River form the western property perimeter. And acres of open fields and mature hardwood forests of this 30 acre property are there for exploration.
This high style architectural award winning home has been published several times in books and magazines. The perfect weekend home, it can comfortably accommodate groups of 10 or more for overnight stays, and the large indoor and outdoor entertaining spaces can host a crowd. Clever design in creating private bedroom suites makes it just as comfortable for a single couple wanting a quiet escape as well. All three floors feature high ceilings and generous spaces. Energy efficient multiple zone heating and cooling and streamlined modernist design make this home an easy keeper.
- Entry Hall (16 x 19) – The impressive entry provides visitors with a two story bank of windows to draw in the mountain views, an artful steel staircase to the upper floor, and access to all the major public rooms of the house.
- Living Room (29 x 17) – This large room features soaring ceilings, large windows framing the pasture and mountain views, and a dramatic fireplace.
- Media Room (17 x 16) – Carpeted risers allow for 2 levels of seating. Built-in bookshelves line the back of the room. Surround sound wiring and built-in screen for a projection system allow for a true cinematic experience.
- Hall Bath – Accessible from the Living Room, Media Room and ground floor bedroom, this full bath includes a tub/shower.
- Bedroom (12 x 19) – The ground floor bedroom is a quiet space with maple flooring and hall closet and bath.
- Kitchen (19 x 6) – The galley kitchen is a cook’s dream. A granite island features a sink and lots of counter space and can double as a buffet table for the adjoining dining room. Cabinetry and floors are maple. Appliances include a large Sub-Zero refrigerator/freezer, Viking range, and Thermador double oven, as well as built-in microwave, dishwasher, and trash compactor.
- Dining Room (24 x 17) – This large room is open to the kitchen and features a large wood-burning fireplace and a bank of windows to capture the mountain and pasture views.
- Screen Porch (27 x 20) – Adjacent to the garage and laundry and connected to the dining room by a hallway, this large screened in space features ipe wood decking and beautiful views of the mountains.
- Mud Room/Laundry/Bath – The (10 x 5) mud room has ceramic tile floors and coat racks and storage. It opens to a Laundry Room (11 x 5) with washer, dryer and utility sink, and a Half Bath. A Pantry (5 x 5) offers lots of shelving and storage space.
- Garage (37 x 24) – The attached garage has its own heating system and consists of three car bays with individually operated doors, high ceilings, and plenty of extra storage space.
- Back Deck – A large deck spans the back of the house from the Living Room on one side to the Screened Porch on the other. Opening to the Entry Hall, Living Room, and Screened Porch, this deck and the adjacent lawn more than double the amount of entertaining space on mild days.
- South Bedroom Suite – This suite features two bedrooms (12 x 10) and (14 x 10) and a full hall bath with a tub/shower. Bedroom windows overlook fields and mountains.
- North Bedroom Suite – This suite likewise features two bedrooms (12 x 12) and (11 x 12) with a hall bath that includes a tub/shower.
- Master Bedroom Suite – The Master Suite has closet and storage space in a private hallway that opens to the bedroom and the tower office. The (18 x 16) bedroom has maple flooring, built-in bookcases and cabinets and large windows overlooking pastures, forest, river, and mountains. The en suite bath has a large shower with double shower heads, granite double vanity, and heated ceramic tile floors.
- Tower Office (17 x 17) – Accessible at the entrance to the master suite is the staircase to the tower office. The large room has a cathedral ceiling, a wall of built-in bookshelves and commanding views from the large windows of the entire estate and mountains beyond.
- Hall Bath – Full bath with Shower/Tub configuration and ceramic tile floors.
- Systems/Storage Room (15 x 15) – Large unfinished room with furnace, security system, and plenty of room for storage
- Game Room (15 x 28) – Large carpeted room with exterior door to pool. A wood stove hearth provides a nice focal point.
- Bonus Room (10 x 9) – a quiet carpeted room that can be used for any number of purposes.
- Storage Room (22 x 16) – This large unfinished room houses additional utilities and also includes two sealed storage rooms; one a (5 x 10) cedar storage closet and the other a lockable (5 x 10) rooms suitable as a wine cellar or gun closet.
The Tasker House sits on a bluff above the 30.5 acres of open fields and forest perimeter. The Thornton River meanders along the western property boundary. The river frontage, usable pasture land, and forest resources allow for a multiplicity of uses as a farm, vineyard, or hayfields, or simply as open land for a family to enjoy. Steps from the house is a large swimming pool with a landscaped border. A concrete and stone wall separates the back lawn of the house from the adjoining pastures. Water lines to lawn hydrants allow for considerable garden expansion.
Pastures are a mix of orchard grass, clover, fescue and native grasses and are suitable for grazing or high quality hay. Forested areas are a mix of pine and mature hardwoods and have considerable timber value.
Location: The Tasker House lies on the outskirts of the hamlet of Laurel Mills. This quaint collection of old mill houses and a small general store is in the heart of Castleton, an area of larger farms and estates and weekend homes as well as the location of the world-renowned Castleton Music Festival. The Tasker House is equidistant between the village of Sperryville, and the Town of Washington in Rappahannock County. The property lies in the Rappahannock Hunt and the Thornton Hill Hounds foxhunting territory. Approximately 82 miles from Washington, DC, the travel time from the house to downtown DC is 1 Hour and 45 minutes (in low traffic situations). Approximately 80 minutes to Dulles International Airport, 1 hour to Charlottesville, 30 minutes to Warrenton, and 30 minutes to Culpeper.
Amenities: Rappahannock County is a close-knit rural community with excellent theater, concerts, art galleries, wineries, and the Shenandoah National Park. “Little” Washington, the county seat is the home of world renowned Inn at Little Washington , Tulas, and shops and theater. Sperryville is home to El Quijote, the Thornton River Grille, Rappahannock Central and other establishments. Equestrian activities (fox-hunting, trail riding, dressage) are very popular local pursuits.